Monday, September 21, 2009

Good News, but how to explain it?

Hello! It was a beautiful weekend here in Boston, and it allowed me to do a few diet-friendly things like stay on top of my grocery shopping so I'm set for the week, and go to the gym TWICE. I really would have been upset with myself if I didn't go to the gym both Saturday and Sunday, and I'm happy with myself that I made it, and had good work outs both times. More on that later.

First, this morning's weigh in:

Weight: -2.8 lbs!
Bodyfat: + 0.5% (i think that happens as the denominator gets smaller, but I'm paying attention to it).

Very excited to have "put up some big numbers this week", as they say on The Biggest Loser. (okay, so it's not even 2%, and I'd very likely be below the yellow line, but I'm still winning in my own show).

More importantly, it brings me officially to -7.5lbs, which is 25% of my goal! That's a big accomplishment, and I'm happy to have gotten there in 5 weeks!

So, why the weight loss? Honestly, I don't have a good answer on that.

I didn't eat so well last week. I was okay on points, even lower some days, but I had a few days in there where I didn't eat such well-rounded meals (is 6 white cheddar rice cakes dinner? It was one day last week, I know that!) and a few days I went without my usual lunch and moved to a salad, which wasn't bad, but it was still different.

And, in terms of the gym, I had several wasted days last week. I went once when it probably should have been at least 2 times and could have been 3. (another reason it was so important for me to go twice this weekend).

So, I don't know the answer as to why, so, it's hard for me to say "more of the same will get me there". It won't - I may just be having some metabolism surge or something. I don't know.

I mentioned last time I want to do a "working out" post and I will do that next. I felt a bit guilty about posting about working out when, quite frankly, I just hadn't been doing it enough!

So, we're on a good start for this week, and I will be approaching my next challenge in a few days: Going to visit Robert's sister and brother-in-law (and my new nephew!) for 5 days, starting Saturday. This means
(a) I won't be in direct control of my own food and be able to eat diety stuff all week
(b) I won't be near my gym
(c) I won't weigh in until THURSDAY of next week!

I really have to focus on how i'll make this week successful so that the following 5 days don't derail me.

Any pointers on how to stay focused while on vacation?

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Mary said...

We can go to my gym, its $10 for a guest. I would love to go, and we could go when it isnt so crowded, i.e. sunday while the boys watch football

Liz said...

A few things you can do while you're away: buy a few healthy snacks that you can bring with you (bars? nuts? raisins? cheese sticks?). I'm guessing you'll be doing some cooking there, so you'll have some amount of control over your meals. Also, you could probably go for a hike or take little Luke for a walk (you push the stroller for an added challenge).